Saturday, January 7, 2012

Rain Gutter Regatta

The very first pack meeting Austin was able to go to as a brand new Cub Scout was the Rain Gutter Regatta.  Parents had to help their scout put together a sail boat that would stay upright and glide effortlessly down a water-filled rain gutter.

Brett (who was in Scouts and participated in this event and has experience with it) happened to be super busy during the time we had to make our boat.  That left me, who has never even heard of such an event, to make Austin's boat.

As were were making it, Austin was so excited about his boat, and said at one point that his boat was going to beat everyone else's.  I was quick to stop that kind of thinking!  I reminded him that I had never done anything like this before and that there was a very good chance that his boat may not even float.  But we were at least trying.

So the big day comes, and we go to pack meeting.  Everyone else's boats were way cooler looking than ours.  So I just reminded Austin that we were here just to have fun.


Well, they started the races.  Austin won his first race!  And then he won the next race, and the next and the next and the next!

His boat ended up being the undefeated champion of the evening!!
I couldn't believe it, but both Austin and I were completely ecstatic about it!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Haha, I love this post! Go Austin and Hannah!